From Krystal Koop:
University District Street Medicine needs YOUR help!
With the support of UW students, clinicians, faculty and community, University District Street Medicine has been conducting street and community based outreach to homeless residents of the University District since 2014, helping individuals with immediate first aid and with navigating healthcare resources. A snapshot of our work in the last year:
· 270 individual patient encounters
· 109 unique referrals to services, including dental, medical and housing needs
· 54 basic wellness checks (blood pressure readings, glucose readings)
· Over 1,000 outreach supplies distributed
This project meets a crucial need in the University District and provides a unique learning experience for UW Health Sciences students:
· “We save lives with University District Street Medicine” –Tess DePalma, UW Rehabilitation Medicine student
· “I have been an officer in the University District for seventeen years and we have always needed a program like this”-Brian Thomas, Seattle Police Department
· “Thank goodness there are projects like this”-John Fox, Seattle Displacement Coalition
· “A student run clinic would be a natural way to collaborate with other disciplines and enrich our learning while providing a service to the community” – Julia Light, UW School of Nursing & University District Street Medicine alumni
With your support, University District Street Medicine will be able to continue and expand its current street and community-based outreach to include Pro Bono Physical Therapy services and ultimately, a full diagnose and treat clinic.
With help from you, we can continue to thoughtfully and strategically expand our services to meet the needs of the University District’s homeless population while providing unique and crucial learning experiences for UW Health Sciences students.
You can learn more about this project here: http://crosscut.com/2016/11/uw-deans-wont-fund-homeless-health-effort/
As you’ll quickly see, the CROSSCUT article highlights not only UDSM’s good work, but also the risk that without some immediate financial support, it might end in January of 2017.
This wonderful project should NOT be allowed to fail. If you agree, you can help. Here are two ways.
(1) You could send a quick email of support to anyone at the UW that you know (Deans, Associate Deans, President Cauce, health sciences faculty). Ask them to speak up in support of UDSM.
(2) Make a financial contribution of any size for the U District Street Medicine project, via the Combined Fund Drive or directly to our Service Learning budget.
Please consider making a tax deductible donation by following the steps below:
2. In the “Your Information” Section, type “University District Street Medicine” into the comment’s box to ensure that your donation is received.
Or if you are a UW employee, state employee or retiree, consider donating to the UW Combined Fund Drive. This fund can accept one-time donations, annual donations, payroll deductions, etc.
1 Participate in the UW Combined Fund Drive @ www.uw.edu/uwcfd
2 University District Street Medicine (Charity Code 1482148) In the “Your Information” Section, type “University District Street Medicine” into the comment’s box to ensure that your donation is received.